Afgelopen voorjaar publiceerde Europa de gloednieuwe ‘Creative Cities Monitor’. Leuven kreeg daar een mooie beoordeling.
Lees mee hoe Europa Leuven beschrijft:
“Did you know that...?
• The city of Leuven, only 25 kilometres east of Brussels, is a medium-sized city hosting a very rich student community (one third of the population). It is also the capital of the province of Flemish Brabant. The city of Leuven is known for its university, the KU Leuven — the oldest university of the Low Countries (1425) and of the most innovative in Europe, and for its beer, Stella Artois.
• Leuven thrives as a bustling young student town with a strong international allure, where various cultures meet — Leuven has more than 150 different nationalities — and where innovation is part of the soul of the city. Leuven has a vibrant arts and heritage field and counts more than 300 social and cultural associations, providing a wide range of activities.
• The M Museum, known for combining classical and contemporary art in the historic centre of Leuven, welcomes more than 170,000 visitors every year, with many renowned exhibitions and masterpieces from Dirk Bouts to Rogier van der Weyden. The Grand Beguinage of Leuven, a well-preserved historical quarter containing a dozen streets in the south of downtown Leuven, is on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
• The Vaartkom, the old industrial Stella Artois neighbourhood around the Vaartcanal, is in full expansion. All of the former Stella Artois industrial heritage buildings have been transformed into a lively creative district with, amongst others, the creative hub De Hoorn and the independent arts centre, OPEK.
• Leuven MindGate is an important programme that underscores Leuven as one of the world’s prime regions for health, high-tech and creativity, with a unique ecosystem of companies cooperating with knowledge institutions and the government, creating a perfect breeding ground for companies, entrepreneurs, investors and talent.
• Today, 37 % of Leuven’s entrepreneurs are part of the cultural and creative sectors and 6.5 % of employees work in these sectors. All of those who are part of the sector in the city are part of the network called Leuven MindGate, which has an annual network event called SPACE.
De volledige info vind je online op: https://composite-indicators.jrc.ec.europa.eu/cultural-creative-cities-monitor/#